Killer Prime Rib Recipe
Cook Time: 2½ -3 Hrs | Desired Temp: 125º
*Cook times may vary
- 1-2 6-8lb. Prime rib roast(s)
- ½ cup Olive oil, per roast
- 1-2 tbsp Minced garlic, per roast
- ⅓ cup PBC Beef & Game Pit Rub, per roast
- Horseradish sauce (optional)
NOTE: The process is the same for a New York Strip roast. Try it– it’s fantastic!
- Light your Pit Barrel® Cooker (PBC) according to the instructions.
- Remove the roast(s) from the package and let rest until room temperature.
- Mix the oil, garlic and Pit Rub in a mixing bowl to form a loose paste.
- Coat all sides of the roast(s) with the paste.
- Insert one hook into each of the small (cut) ends of the roast so that the hooks point in the same direction and have enough clearance to hang from the rods. You want the hooks oriented such that the thick end of the teardrop shape of the roast is toward the PBC lid.
- Hang the roasts(s) from the rods in the PBC, leaving space between each, and secure the lid.
- Cook approximately 1½ – 2 hours, depending on size, then start checking the internal temperature in the center of the thickest part of each roast.
- If needed, continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches the appropriate internal temperature for your desired doneness (125º for medium-rare).
Tip: To help nail the perfect temperature each time we recommend the outstanding thermometers from ThermoWorks.
- Remove the roast(s) from the PBC, and the hooks from the roast(s). Loosely tent with foil and let rest 30 minutes.
- Slice into individual serving-size portions, serve with Horseradish sauce if desired, and enjoy!