Cook Time: 2.5 – 3 Hours | Desired Temp: 165º
*Cook times may vary
- 1 Whole Chicken, about 5 lbs.
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp PBC All-Purpose Pit Rub
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Lemon, quartered
- 5 sprigs Thyme, rough-chopped (about 3 Tbsp)
- 3 sprigs Rosemary, rough-chopped (about 3 Tbsp)
- 3 sprigs Sage, rough-chopped (about 3 Tbsp)
- PBC Turkey Hanger(s) sold separately
- PBC Pit Grips recommended for use with Turkey Hangers
- Light your Pit Barrel® Cooker (PBC) according to the instructions.
- Combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and All-Purpose Pit Rub in a small bowl and mix well to form a loose paste.
- Put the lemon, garlic and herbs in a medium mixing bowl, add two teaspoons of the seasoning paste, and toss gently to combine.
- Remove the chicken from the package, remove the neck and giblets from inside the cavity.
- Coat all sides of the bird, including the areas under the wings, liberally with the seasoning paste.
- Starting at the the neck end, slide a turkey hanger rod through the cavity of the chicken.
Note: Refer to our Holiday Turkey video for a Turkey Hanger demo.
- Turn the bird upright so that the breast end is sitting on the double-hook portion of the hanger.
- Loosely stuff the cavity with the lemon and herb mixture.
- Insert the T-bar through the eye on the end of the hanger rod.
- Hang the chicken in the center of the PBC so that the T-bar straddles the center of the rods, and secure the lid.
- Cook approximately 2.5-3 hours, depending on size of the bird, until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165°.
Tip: To help nail the perfect temperature each time we recommend the outstanding thermometers from ThermoWorks.
- Remove the bird from the PBC to a large platter or sheet pan. Remove the hanger and let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Carve, serve and enjoy!